Background

Monday, August 1, 2016

SRC: Lemongrass Ginger Pancakes

So.
It's time again for the Secret Recipe Club!  What's that, you ask?  Well, it's a group of food bloggers who are all assigned another blog from the group (in secret, hence the name) and then we all reveal on the same day at the same time.  Fun, right?  I enjoy getting my assignment every month and finding something to make from a blog that I don't know a whole lot about.
This month is no exception.  I was assigned the blog Crazed Mom, written by Nicole.  Nicole is a mom of 5 teenagers, and I am exhausted just thinking about that.  She's a writer, and she makes some delicious looking and sounding food.
I have to admit, when I started looking at her blog, I didn't get past her Breakfast offerings.  As the owner of a new waffle iron, I'm all about waffle recipes right now.  I eyed these Blueberry Lemon Ricotta Pancakes, because I have ricotta needing to be used in my fridge and blueberries right now; but Nicole made these for an SRC reveal.  I also really want to make these Pumpkin Spice Latte Doughnuts, but I would need a doughnut baking pan...and I'm still playing with my waffle iron.  Then I found something that totally caught my attention.
As some of my friends on Facebook know, I was literally giving away some of my Gourmet Garden stir in paste herb tubes from past blogging events.  I love their products (just ask, and I'll tell you!), but there are some that I've never known what to do with...like Lemongrass.  It's intimidating looking at the store, and I've never used it.  But I have 3 tubes of it in my freezer.  I saw the picture in the index with the Gourmet Garden tubes, and saw that this would use up (albeit a small amount) of my Lemongrass stash, and I was in!  Plus, the leftovers are freezable, as we start the grind towards school.  I'm starting my freezer cooking to make the fall easier.  J and I both enjoyed these for breakfast, and they'll be great out of the toaster with maple syrup this fall too,
I present to you now Crazed Mom's Lemongrass Ginger Pancakes:

Ingredients:
1-1/2 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp grated Ginger (I used Gourmet Garden stir in paste)
1 tsp minced Lemongrass (I used Gourmet Garden stir in paste)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 c molasses
1 c milk

Method:
1.  In a medium bowl, stir together dry ingredients.  Make a well in the centre.
2.  In a second bowl, beat together egg, vanilla and molasses until smooth.  Slowly add milk until full incorporated (I used electric hand beaters to ensure that the molasses is fully suspended in the milk)
3.  With beaters running on low, slowly pour milk mixture into flour mixture, and beat until just combined.  Batter is thick and a little lumpy.
4.  Heat griddle and brush with oil.  Pour about 1/4 c of batter per pancake.  I found I had to spread the batter with the edge of the cup.  Cook until bubbles begin to form around the edges.  Turn and cook for about 2 minutes on the other side as well.  Keep made pancakes warm in 250F oven while continuing, oiling griddle as needed.
From Crazed Mom

Don't you love my current spice rack?  I can find nothing.  I was sure I had cloves, but I didn't, so I subbed allspice.  J and I have started the process of finding someone to renovate the new house kitchen.  I will soon not be the proud owner of the sexy blue countertops, also pictured here.  But back to pancakes....

 These went together quickly.  I was surprised by the lack of oil in the batter itself, and it's a really thick batter.  As a result, you need to watch closely so they don't burn.  The cooking time is short.  But it's worth the watching.  They smell amazing while cooking as well.
Very like gingerbread was the final verdict on flavour, and delicious with butter and maple syrup.  With all the lemongrass I have, I forsee a lot of pancakes!
Thanks Nicole!!

















11 comments:

  1. Don't you hate when you KNOW you got a spice and it goes missing? The black hole of spices strikes again....

    great recipe, I love lemongrass....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've just encouraged me to go through my spice drawer and see just what is lurking in there. Great choice this month, those pancakes sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, I am so excited you picked these. We wound up loving them so much they have almost become a staple. I have since learned to thin them out a little, so I might need to do a whole new recipe with that version, but I kinda like the thick ones! haha Love GG too btw!
    Those blue counters, totally made me laugh - I had a house that had blue counters too... they looked so much like those only darker. Too funny - good luck with your renovations. We are moving in exactly 1 month and I'm living out of boxes and can't find ANYTHING! haha I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom has blue counters. On purpose. But blue is her favorite color.

    These pancakes look really yummy. I bet you could make them in your new waffle iron, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I KNOW that feeling when I'm sure I have it but can't find it. I end up getting all distracted, taking out everything and alphabetizing it and forgetting to make what I intended to make, lol! I do love lemongrass flavor, and this sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say waffle those delicious babies, esp. if the batter is thick! Great SRC choice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am completely in love with Gourmet Garden stir-in pastes and lightly dried herbs!! And I'm completely in love with these pancakes! I would love to try them - these are some of my favorite ingredients!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yeah, I want those pancakes! The Gourmet Garden lemongrass paste really helped me understand lemongrass and how to deploy it! Wonderful SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pancakes on Sundays always make my weekend. This is a new flavor combo for me. I will have to try soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW I had you for this month's reveal. So much to make the burger kebabs.

      Delete
  10. I adore ginger, so I can see that these pancakes have a future in my house. What a fun way to amp up breakfast. Great Secret Recipe Club pick.

    ReplyDelete