Background

Friday, August 12, 2016

Breakfast: Chocolate Zucchini Chocolate Chip Waffles

So.
After last summer's fun with my friend's waffle iron, I kept thinking I should buy one of my own.  I thought about it for a whole year (which I am wont to do), and finally picked one up on the cheap at Kohl's when J and I went to celebrate a friend's 50th birthday in Toledo.
But what to make first?  I have an absolute pile of waffle recipes pinned to my Breakfast board on Pinterest.  There's pumpkin, and snickerdoodle, and gingerbread...but I was looking for wow factor for the first waffles from the new toy.
I started searching again for something with wow factor, that would use things in my fridge.  I'm pretty sure I picked it with this recipe. Seeing as I had buttermilk leftover and a couple of zucchini from our Good Food Boxes, this was a no brainer.  Seeing as there was cocoa and chocolate chips involved, I'd found my wow factor.
Even better?  This made enough for 2 brunches the day of and more for the freezer for later.  You know, when I want a bit of a day brightener.  That can always be achieved through chocolate chips for breakfast.
I present to you now The Candid Appetite's Chocolate Zucchini Chocolate Chip Waffles:

Ingredients:
2 c flour
1/2 c cocoa powder
1/4 c brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 eggs, separated
2 c buttermilk
1/2 c butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
1 medium zucchini, shredded
1 c mini chocolate chips

Method:
1.  In a large bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  In a second bowl, beat egg yolks, vanilla and buttermilk, slowly add butter, beating constantly.  Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients just until combined.
2.  In a clean bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.  Fold whites into batter before folding in zucchini and chocolate chips.
3.  Heat waffle iron according to directions.  Brush with butter when hot.  Add 1/4 c batter to the middle of the iron and close, cooking for about 3 minutes, but according to manufacturer's directions.  Keep waffles warm while continuing to cook additional waffles.  Serve with butter and maple syrup (or ice cream!!)
From The Candid Appetite


You know what almost makes these healthy?  The zucchini.  It definitely makes them moist.  1 medium shredded zucchini is about 1 cup.  Mine was a little more, but I put the whole thing in.  I don't think it affected the flavour or texture at all.

My shiny new toy!  A Black and Decker Belgian waffle maker.  1/4 cup is the perfect amount to fill but not overflow the maker.  Doesn't that batter look awesome?  Chocolate chips just took it over the edge.
J liked these as well, but he's not quite sold on the whole "they're healthy because there are vegetables in them" argument.  I'm not saying these are for everyday...but once and a while can't be bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment