Background

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Son of Magazine Challenge: Creme-FIlled Chocolate Cupcakes

So.
I have a confession to make.  I have been eating breakfast every morning.  While it's been a whole lot of peanut butter toast in the past few weeks, I do sit down and make sure that my body has something to run on for a good portion of the day.  Time to eat, a principal does not always have.
I will tell you that I didn't eat these for breakfast.  I'm not above it, but I was taking them for a lunch dessert, or eating one in the evening as a treat with J.  But I didn't make a complete confession on Facebook when I posted a picture of these beauties.  More on that later.
I had to get a jumbo muffin tin to make these.  I wouldn't always recommend doing this, but this makes a dozen jumbo cupcakes.  We were off to a picnic and I was to bring a dessert.  These totally fit the bill.  I made them the day of, after reading reviews that said the cake was dense and dry.  It is dense, and I would recommend cake flour to lighten them up a bit.  But the filling suited the cake.  It is also dense and sweet.  J said that they reminded him of Hostess snack cakes, and I think that's the point.  But these are probably better just because we know what's in them and they go stale faster.
Everyday Food had a feature in the April 2007 on Nostalgic Desserts.  These were just too cute not to consider.  And they're filled with a marshmallow mixture.  How could that possibly be bad?
I present to you now from the April 2007 issue of Everyday Food, I present to you now Creme-Filled Chocolate Cupcakes:

Ingredients:
1 c butter, softened
3/4 c cocoa
2 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 c sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 c sour cream
1 jar (7.5 oz) marshmallow creme
4 Tbsp butter, at room temperature
Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease 12- 1 cup jumbo muffin tins.  In a large bowl, stir together cocoa, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Set aside.
2.  In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in eggs one at a time, until fully incorporated.  Add vanilla and mix well.
3.  Add flour mixture in 3 parts, with half the sour cream between each addition.  Mix until just combined.  Divide evenly between prepared tins.  Bake at 350F for 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool 5 minutes in tins before unmolding and cooling completely on a rack.
4.  Make the Filling:  Stir together butter and marshmallow creme until combined.  Spoon into a ziploc bag and place in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes to allow the filling to set up.
5.  With a small spoon, hollow out the middle of the cupcake from the top.  Once all cupcakes are done, snip a corner off a corner of the ziploc bag and pipe filling into the cavity of each cupcake.  

From Everyday Food, April 2007

These cupcakes didn't dome like you might expect.  That was probably for the best.  When they came out, the tops were just even with the top of the cup.  It is a dense cake, but cuts well when you start to hollow out the cake.
2 different styles.  That's what I ended up with.  Martha says you should hollow out from the bottom.  I loaded a piping bag, but the mixture was too thick for the nozzle I chose.  Hollowing from the top worked better, and I liked the looks of them like that.

But the filling...oh, the filling.  I had leftover after my difficulty with the pastry bag.  I put it into the fridge, and might have eaten it for breakfast on English muffins with PB & Co's Dark Chocolate Dreams Peanut Butter.  I'm sure the cats will never tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment