Background

Friday, June 19, 2015

So Delicious: Hot Wings

So.
J and I both like going for wings, but we're getting old.  By that, I really mean that he is turning 50 this year and while he wants to eat super spicy food, it's not always the best idea.  Likewise, I am becoming more fabulous as time passes.
This year for the festival of Bowl games that is January 1, we decided to have wings at home.  Customizably spicy, ready when you're ready.  I went looking (as I am wont to do when I don't have a recipe) on Pinterest for something that would work for a lovely little Buffalo wing we could eat.  What I found was this.  It's amazing.
This does take some prep work, but the wings need to rest for at least an hour after their original coating, so they're the kind of thing you can leave in the fridge until an hour before you're ready to eat and then pop in the oven until they smell done. The messiest part of this for me is cleaning the rack after baking.
That's right.  I said baking.  This is about as healthy a wing as you can pretend to get.  Ignore the butter in the sauce and the skin that's still on chicken and it might be considered healthy.  But that's not the point.  Have I said how great we think these are?  I've made them 3 times.  That's a lot around here when you're not Chicken Fajita Salad or Mexican Bake Thing.
I present to you now from Gold Medal Flour Hot Buffalo Wings:

Ingredients:
16-20 chicken wings
1 Tbsp oil
1/2 c plus 1 Tbsp Frank's Red Hot Sauce
3/4 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp chipotle powder
1/4 c butter
Method:
1.  In a large ziploc bag, mix flour and seasonings.  In a second bag, combine wings, oil and 1 Tbsp hot sauce.  Seal and massage well before pouring wings into flour bag.  Toss with flour until well coated.
2.  Lightly oil a rack and set on a baking tray.  Lay wings out in a single layer on the rack.  Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
3.  Melt butter, and combine with remaining hot sauce.  Remove wings from refrigerator and dip each wing in the butter mixture ensuring that the wings are well coated.  Set wings back on rack.
4.  Place baking tray in a cold oven.  Turn on to 400F, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until wings are sizzling and done.  Serve hot.

 From Gold Medal Flour

So you get them ready to accept lots of flour and spices.  I love that the small amount of liquid you add to the bag clings to the wings so when you pour this bag into the other bag there's no mess and no wondering why you did what you did.
Then lay them on the rack and slide them into the fridge.  At this point, they don't look like much.  I don't measure the spices into the flour.  I probably should.  We had a wicked hot batch tonight.
They go into the oven super gooey.  J doesn't like gooey wings, so at this point I wasn't sure what would happen.
But in an hour, the sauce absorbs into the flour, and you're left with a crispy, crunchy hot wing.  They remind me a little of KFC, but they're delicious.  Not really a summer food, but now we're ready for fall tailgating!

No comments:

Post a Comment