Background

Monday, May 4, 2015

Secret Recipe Club: Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Scones (and scones a-plenty!!)

So.
My mother informed me today that she's been checking up on my blog and hasn't seen anything new recently.  It's not that I'm not cooking, I just seem to not be writing these days.  I'm hoping that will change in May, simply because there are some blogging events coming that I need to be writing and preparing for.
The first of these events is the May reveal day for the Secret Recipe Club.  Every month I so enjoy going and looking at a new blog and seeing the sorts of wonderful things that they make that I can try too.  I didn't know how thrilled I would be when I started poking about Kate's blog Kitchen Trial and Error.
Kate's journey to blogging is similar to my own, but she takes much prettier pictures.  I found so many things I wanted to make.  In fact, I went back today to write my post and discovered this Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin that is now on the menu for this coming week.  I also keep meaning to make this Gingerbread Deep Dish Apple Pancake that I've even bought the molasses to make...but it hasn't happened...yet.  Perhaps next weekend.  I settled on scones partially because they're one of Kate's favourite things, and partially because I'd never made them.  I actually made 3 different types all from Kate's blog - 2 types for a staff meeting (which were quickly gobbled up), and 1 type for J and myself to eat while watching Spring football one Saturday morning and then over the next couple of days for breakfast.
I had to decide which one to tell you about, and chose the one with my favourite flavour combination, but I also made the Coconut Lime Scones:


And the Cinnamon Scones (which are killer - especially the icing):


But this is another post all about the glory that is chocolate peanut butter.  I present to you now Kitchen Trial and Error's Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Scones:

Ingredients:
2 c flour
1 c oats
1/3 c brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
6 Tbsp cold butter, cut into pieces
3/4 c milk
1 egg yolk
1/2 c peanut butter
1 c chocolate chips

Method:
1.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Preheat oven to 400F.
2.  In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients.  Add butter and use a mixer to blend until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Make a well in the centre.  Pour milk, egg yolk and peanut butter in the centre and blend again until the mixture starts to come together.  Add chocolate chips and mix until incorporated.
3.  Turn dough out onto parchment.  Form into a disk about 1" to 1-1/2" thick.  Using a large knife, cut into 8 equal pieces, but do not separate.  Bake at 400F for 15-20 minutes until an inserted tooth pick comes out clean.  Cool and store in an airtight container.
  From Kitchen Trial and Error

YUM.  I love peanut butter!  This was like eating cookies for breakfast.  Something I am not opposed to.  As opposed to the other scone recipes I made, this one seemed to indicate that I should use a mixer.  So I did.  I really don't think it affected the final product.  They were a little less flaky, but that didn't slow down J's and my consumption of them.
I didn't have mini chips.  I don't think that mattered either.  They were full of chocolate.  So good warm.
Especially with a cup of coffee for breakfast!  Thanks Kate, for all your inspiration this month.  It's been delicious!













7 comments:

  1. I'm all in favour of eating cookies for breakfast - It should be made compulsory! You have definitely sold Kate's recipes - I'm hopping over there now for a nosy! #SRC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never made scones before either, until a couple months ago for SRC. ALL of these flavors sound amazing, especially those coconut lime ones. I think it's time to make some more scones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They sound and look delicious! Scones are on my to make list. Chocolate and peanut butter though? YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love a good scone with my cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scones are the best and if there is a better combination than peanut butter and chocolate I don't know it. So don't be surprised if you find me on your doorstep begging for one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are full of all my favorite ingredients - yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how delicious. I've got to try that!

    ReplyDelete