Background

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Bride of Magazine Challenge: Rocky Road Bars

So.
I made these treats a while ago.  I try and make something most weekends so that we have a treat to eat after dinner to eat most nights.  Those weeks I don't, we seem to go for frosty chocolate milkshakes; especially in summer. But with something like this in an airtight container sitting on the counter, we're a whole lot less likely to go running off.
J tells me he's not big on marshmallows, but these seemed to disappear quickly enough.  I liked them because they mixed up in a pan and were quick to put together.  Most people would like them because of their sweet top layer.  I added them to my list of things checked off for the Magazine Challenge.
I present to you now from the October 2006 issue of Everyday Food, Rocky Road Bars:

Ingredients:
1/2 c butter
1/2 c cocoa powder
1 c brown sugar, packed
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 c flour
1/2 c milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 c mini marshmallows
1 c roughly chopped pecans
1 c chocolate chips
Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 350F.  Line a 8" square pan with parchment paper and grease, leaving an overhang of paper around edges.
2.  In a medium pan, melt butter with cocoa, stirring until smooth.  Remove from heat and add sugar, egg, flour, milk and vanilla.  Spread evenly in prepared pan and bake at 350F for 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
3.  Remove pan from oven and sprinkle evenly with chocolate chips, nuts and marshmallows.  Return to oven and bake until marshmallows puff up, about 5 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool for at least 1 hour before refrigerating to harden topping.
4.  Use paper to lift the bars from the pan.  Cut into bars and store in an airtight container at room temperature.
 From Everyday Food, October 2006

I love 1 bowl recipes!  1 pan recipes make me equally as happy.  We start with this.
And end up with something that looks like this, which is ready to go in the oven to melt and create the topping.  My advice?  Press the topping to the brownie layer when they come out of the oven.  It flaked off when I cut the bars.  I served these most often in a bowl to catch errant chocolate chips and nuts.
But the first day, they looked great on a plate, and even with errant marshmallows they were still a delicious treat in the evening with a glass of milk.  Thanks Martha!

No comments:

Post a Comment